Hotels in Slough, United Kingdom
- Comprehensive hotel search for Slough online
- Find a cheap hotel in Slough!
- Book at the ideal price!
Stay in surprising Slough for visiting London & Berkshire
When you think of places to visit in Berkshire; Windsor, Ascot, Eton or even Reading may come to mind. Slough may not even feature on your list. However, you may find this multicultural town, dating back to Norman times, to be a remarkably convenient base from which to explore London and the south-east of England.
Hotels in Slough are a lot more reasonable than in the capital for a start and with the town's superb rail connections you can reach London Paddington Station in just twenty minutes. You are also only a 15-minute drive from Heathrow's Terminal Five.
Slow to catch on
Slough literally means “swamp” and the name of the town is said to originate from a muddy mire near the original 12th century settlement. In those days it was known as Slo and went on to be known as, the even more enticing, Sloo.
In the 15th century, due to the town's French influence it was called Le Slow, Slowe or even just plain and simple Slow. However, since the railway opened linking London to the west, Slough has been anything but.
Nowadays Slough is a gateway to not only London, but the rest of the UK, Europe and even the world! It is right next the M4, M40 and M25 motorways and within easy reach of Heathrow and Gatwick Airports. Indeed, Slough hotels and guesthouses are ideally placed for anyone taking a flight from London's two principal airports.
Take it Slough for the night
A hotel in Slough may not seem the stuff of dreams, but many of them are practical and offer great value. The town centre, for example, is home to several economy hotel chains - ideal for anyone visiting Berkshire, London or simply passing by.
There is a good selection of bars, restaurants and pubs in the town centre as well as great shopping facilities – including the largest Tesco supermarket in Europe!
If you're travelling from Heathrow Terminal Five, you will also find nearby a great selection of hotels – Slough is just a few miles away from several leading chains and top quality hotels around the airport.
Right royal sights on your doorstep
When you hear the county referred to as “Royal Berkshire”, you probably don't think of including Slough. It may surprise you then to discover that the world-famous Eton College – where countless members of the Royal Family and Prime Ministers have been educated since the 15th century – is just a 20-minute walk from Slough town centre!
If you stay in Slough, you may even be able to count Queen Elizabeth II – no less – as a neighbour. The 900-year old royal residence of Windsor Castle – the largest inhabited castle in the world – is just a ten-minute drive away.
A little further afield – around 40 minutes by car – lies the famous residence of Henry VIII: Hampton Court. You can lose yourself, quite literally, in the splendid gardens, including its magnificent hedge maze, and explore the Tudor sovereign's impressive mansion.
If you want to really get up close to royalty though, there is no better event to attend than the annual Royal Ascot race meeting. Held at the Ascot Race-course in June, just 20 minutes from Slough, it is Britain's most valuable race meeting and a good excuse to get dressed up for the day. Why not make a weekend of it and book into a luxury hotel or country club with a spa around Slough?
Mention Slough and images of tranquil lakes and woodland probably don't spring to mind. However, two of the town's most popular attractions are Black Park and Langley Country Park.
Both are ideal for a lovely stroll, cycle or to take the dog out for a run. There are lots of nice walks and trails available as well as cost cafes to have a coffee and perhaps a slice of cake. Langley Country Park incorporates the Jubilee Play Garden too equipped with swings and seesaws to keep the kids happy.
To celebrate the town's waterways you can also visit the annual Slough Canal Festival in September, including arts and crafts for sale and many outdoor activities.
Speed up or Slough down
If you're looking for activities to get your pulse racing or to keep the kids amused, Slough has its fair share of these too. These include Grand Prix racing simulators, trampoline parks and karting. For something more sedate, there is also a nice selection of spas available for you to relax and unwind in.
Slough has historical attractions too. None more important than the 900 year-old Saint Lawrence's Church. Mentioned in the Doomsday Book, the church retains much of its 12th century features, including a nave, tower and an ornate Norman doorway. The famous 18th-19th century astronomer, Sir William Herschel is buried here.
If you have a thirst to find out more about the town's origins, you can also pay a visit to Slough Museum. Completely free, you can uncover the diverse and unique history of Slough through its 6000 objects and 5000 photographs on display.
So, if you're looking for a practical place to stay for visiting London, an original break or just a stopover for a night in a hotel, Slough could well be an unexpected surprise. just a stop over for a night in a hotel, Slough could well prove to be an unexpected surprise.
Price rangefrom £39to £187
- Hotel Premier Inn Slough hoteldeals from £36
- Hotel Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5deals from £43
- Hotel Travelodge Sloughdeals from £33
- Hotel Holiday Inn Slough - Windsordeals from £53
- Hotel Ledger Serviced Rooms & Apartmentsdeals from £53
- Hotel Aptus Accommodationdeals from £4
More Top Hotels
- Copthorne Hotel Slough-Windsor
- Hotel Holiday Inn Express Slough
- OYO Baylis House Hotel
- Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel
- The White House
- Uk Apartments
- Colnbrook Lodge Guest House
- Sussex Lodge
- Langley Guest House
- The WatersEdge
- Airport Guest House
- Premier Inn Slough Central South (Windsor Road) hotel
- Biancas House Heathrow Airport
- Amazing Slough Centre Apartment
- Lexington Apartments Railway Terrace
- Westminster House
- Hotel Stoke Place
- Skyways Hotel
- Furnival Lodge
- Ascots House
- Rivington Serviced Apartments
- The Junction
- Berkshire Rooms Slough
- Apartment The Court
- Cippenham Apartment
- The Bellhouse
- Cornwall House Apartments
- Lexington Apartments
- New Studio Apartment
- Highlife Serviced Apartments - Two Bedroom Balcony Apartments
- Lexington Serviced Apartment By Ferndale
- London Heathrow, Legoland Windsor Castle And Slough Trading Estate
- Langley Lodge
- 1 Bedroom Apartment In Windsor - Cc020
- West Central Apartment
- Highlife Lexington Apartments
- 3 Bed Bungalow........ Slough Trading,heathrow,london,windsor,legoland
- Lexington Apartments
- Convenient Home Near Slough High Street
- Modern And Stunning 1 Bedroom Apartment
- Quirky Large Townhouse - Legoland, Windsor, Slough
- Elite Slough Apartment - High Street, Slough
- Hotels in Windsor 537 Hotels deals from £56
- Hotels in London 68435 Hotels deals from £12
- Hotels in Brighton 3275 Hotels deals from £33
- Hotels in Reading 1329 Hotels deals from £42
- Hotels in Oxford 2408 Hotels deals from £44
- Hotels in Heathrow 128 Hotels deals from £30
More Top Destinations
- High Wycombe
- Milton Keynes
- Gerrards Cross