Hotels in Montgomery, USA
- Comprehensive hotel search for Montgomery online
- Find a cheap hotel in Montgomery!
- Book at the ideal price!
The iconic city of Montgomery also has a modern focus
The state capital of Alabama is an absolutely iconic city in the South of the USA, steeped in history and culture. A centrepiece of the civil rights movement, the city holds a significant importance for millions across America and beyond. Nowadays the city has a modern focus with a great deal of renewed investment in the past two decades. Visitors can enjoy a culturally fascinating city with a blend of music, cuisine and sports, all influenced by its important role in American history.
A compact city centre with dozens of points of interest
Although Montgomery is not the largest city in Alabama, it is arguably the most significant. Being the state capital there are a bunch of government agencies and administrative offices based in the city, but also many museums, historic sites and universities. The city lies along the banks of the Alabama River and much of the older core of Montgomery is found in this area. The river itself provides a relaxing spot in the heart of the city, with the Riverfront Park being the main green patch in the city centre. The State Capitol Building is another focal point, several blocks away from the river. In the surrounding streets of the State Capitol, the modern business side of the city has sprung up in the last few decades with many new high-rise buildings. Although the city is reasonably wide-spread and on a grid system as with many American cities, the inner core of Montgomery is possible to discover on foot. There is also a fairly comprehensive bus network serving the downtown areas and into the suburbs, ensuring that staying in any of the hotels in Montgomery, AL should not necessarily require personal transport.
A host of museums, civil rights and more
Possibly the most iconic and important building in Montgomery history is the Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church. It was here that the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. preached for several years from the mid 1950’s and organised the Montgomery bus boycott in the church’s basement. The church is now listed as a National Historic Landmark and is a well-visited point of interest for visitors to the city. Indeed, the Rosa Parks Library and Museum in the heart of the downtown offers further insight into the city’s role during the civil rights movement. There is also the Civil Rights Memorial Center on Washington Avenue which features a large granite memorial to those who died during the struggle, another popular site with visitors of all demographics to Montgomery. On a different note, The Hank Williams Museum offers another side to Montgomery history, showcasing the life and achievements of the renowned and influential American country musician who started his career in the city.
Modern day culture in Montgomery
For all the history that has shaped Montgomery AL, it is also a city with a modern focus and diverse culture. There are several festivals and events occurring throughout the year, plus a varied local arts scene continuing the long history of live music in the city. The Alabama Shakespeare Festival is a permanent fixture in the Carolyn Blount Theatre and has been hosting productions since 1972. On a day-to-day basis, there are a range of bars in the downtown area which host regular live music, particularly on weekends. Being a city with a sizeable student population, there are also an array of alternative and subculture bars and cafes across the city. The restaurant scene also offers a chance to experience some local culture with an assortment of diners specialising in regional Southern cuisine. Many of the Montgomery Alabama hotels also contain in-house restaurants which again feature multiple local dishes. Any of the hotels in Downtown Montgomery or close to the Alabama River are within short distance of most of the bars and restaurants, adding extra convenience and variety for guests of the city.
A sporting focus for spectators and participants alike
Another aspect of Montgomery culture is its sports clubs, particularly at college level. There are no Major League clubs of any sort in Montgomery, however the city’s Minor League Baseball outfit, The Montgomery Biscuits, hold much pride for local sports fans. Catching a game at their Riverwalk Stadium is both affordable and enjoyable, plus the club are very family focused and thus it makes for a great family activity. In terms of university teams, The Alabama State University based in the city has a competitive college football side, playing at the Hornets Stadium on-campus. With regards to opportunities for visitor participation in sports, golf is a popular pastime in the region and Montgomery is home to a range of courses in the nearby countryside. For further reason to venture beyond the city limits, the nearby city of Selma was another vital part of the civil rights movement. The famous Selma to Montgomery march began in Selma and tourists still head to the smaller city to view the key areas of the city including the renowned Edmund Pettus Bridge.
Price rangefrom £28to £145
- Hotel Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Montgomery East, ALdeals from £52
- Hotel Holiday Inn Express & Suites Montgomery E - Eastchasedeals from £59
- Hotel Hotel Home Inn and Suitesdeals from £34
- Hotel Econo Lodge Inn & Suitesdeals from £32
- Hotel Hotel Doubletree by Hilton Montgomerydeals from £81
More Top Hotels
- Extended Stay America Suites - Montgomery - Carmichael Rd.
- Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center
- Day Inn Montgomery Near Aurburn University
- Staybridge Suites Montgomery - Downtown
- Microtel Inn And Suites By Wyndham Montgomery
- Hilton Garden Inn Montgomery East
- Wingate by Wyndham Montgomery
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Montgomery Hotel & Conference Ctr
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Montgomery
- Hotel Classio Inn and Suites By Eastchase
- Drury Inn and Suites Montgomery
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Montgomery-EastChase Parkway
- Comfort Inn & Suites Montgomery East Carmichael
- Red Bluff Cottage Bed & Breakfast
- Extended Stay America Suites - Montgomery - Eastern Blvd.
- Hotel Comfort Inn Montgomery
- Red Roof Inn Montgomery - Midtown
- Quality Inn & Suites near Gunter Annex Air Force Base
- Comfort Inn Montgomery near Maxwell AF Base
- Baymont Inn & Suites Montgomery South
- Baymont Inn & Suites Montgomery
- Rodeway Inn Montgomery
- Home-Towne Suites Montgomery
- Hampton Inn Montgomery-South-Airport
- Hotel Montgomery AL I-65 & South Blvd
- Motel 6 Montgomery, AL – Coliseum
- Comfort Suites Montgomery
- Candlewood Suites Eastchase Park
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Montgomery Airport South
- Quality Inn Montgomery South
- Stay Lodge
- Lewellen Lodge
- Waterfront Condo With Private Pool And Amazing Views!
- Beautiful 2/2 Apartment In Lake Conroe Sleeps 6
- Black Lantern Inn
- Madison House Historical Craftsmen Home
- Hotels in Orlando 20811 Hotels deals from £20
- Hotels in New York 17989 Hotels deals from £29
- Hotels in Birmingham 880 Hotels deals from £28
- Hotels in London 68435 Hotels deals from £11
- Hotels in Las Vegas 9157 Hotels deals from £14
- Hotels in Miami Beach 8874 Hotels deals from £22
More Top Destinations
- Lake Buena Vista
- New Orleans
- Fort Lauderdale
- Washington D.C.
- Clearwater Beach
- St. Pete Beach
- Key West
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles