Hotels Caldicot close to Caldicot Castle

  • Find the ideal hotel in the area
  • Compare prices from different websites
  • Book for a great price!
Loading

About Caldicot Castle

Caldicot Castle is located on a site which had been used by the Normans as early as 1086. In 1158 the 3rd Earl of Hereford erected the existing curtain walls and in 1376 it became the property of Thomas of Woodstock, the uncle of Richard II. He had construction work done in 1381 and ten years later the estate was confiscated and became Crown property, only to with the passage of time become neglected private property. From 1885 to 1964 it belonged to the Cobb-family who understook restoration work. Thereafter it was purchased by the District Council and has been open to the public since 1965.

Medieval banquets have been held in the great gatehouse since 1967 and the fifty five acres of parkland surrounding the castle offers walks and picnic options. Facilities also include a Children's Activity Station as well as a gift shop and tea room. Audio tours are provided and there are facilities for disabled visitors. Details of forthcoming events are published at the website.

Admission to the park is free and castle admission is £3.75 for adults. A car park is available and the Castle opening hours are daily from 11h00 to 17h00 (April to October). Group visits at other times by arrangement only.

Contact

Church Road, NP26 4HU, Caldicot, United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (1291) 420241 | Fax: +44 (1291) 435094 | Official Homepage

Points of Interest - Caldicot

More Points of Interest - Caldicot