Hotels in Alexandria, USA
- Comprehensive hotel search for Alexandria online
- Find a cheap hotel in Alexandria!
- Book at the ideal price!
Alexandria, VA, home of George Washington
On the banks of the Potomac River, Alexandria is a historic colonial town that was once home to father of the nation George Washington. Just across the water from Washington DC it provides a beautiful escape from the capital with a variety of charming hotels, award winning restaurants and boutique shops to enjoy. With bike rental, boat tours and a host of museums there is always something to enjoy in the picturesque surroundings of this Virginia town.
A foodie’s dream
Seafood is the specialty of Alexandria and there is no end of places to find fresh, top quality dining for a range of budgets. The Old Town and waterfront are two particularly popular restaurant spots offering delicious food in an idyllic setting whether you’re heading out for a romantic evening or relaxing over Sunday brunch. If you love a bargain as well as your food, then why not consider visiting during one of the city’s biannual Restaurant Weeks in February and August when over fifty restaurants offer great deals on three course meals.
Should you feel like cooking for yourself there are several notable farmers’ markets in Alexandria including the Old Town Farmers’ Market and the Del Ray Market which run year-round. Here you’ll find fresh produce, steaming coffee and some of the excellent wines from Virginia alongside locally made jewellery and souvenirs.
A tribute to Washington
George Washington is at the heart of Alexandria, his adopted hometown, with the Masonic Memorial and Gadsby’s Tavern being two of the most popular attractions in the city. Every year on 20th February his birthday is celebrated with a parade and fun events.
Just south of Alexandria is Washington’s plantation home, Mount Vernon, which has been converted into a fascinating museum dedicated to the founding father and his contemporaries. Guests can explore the extensive grounds and join a variety of themed tours and experiences suitable for all ages.
Walking tours of the city are a great way to get a feel for the streets and find out more about the intriguing role it has played in America’s history. For something a little different why not try a ghost tour around the graveyards or a colonial scavenger hunt for the kids? Boat tours are also a lovely way to see Virginia from the water and even cross over to Washington DC for a day trip.
Getting out and about
Alexandria is a bike friendly city with cycle paths and bike racks dotted around the streets. Should you fancy some fresh air then a bike ride along the banks of the Potomac to DC or Mount Vernon is a lovely way experience the gorgeous scenery. You can also get a taste of the outdoors without even leaving the city by heading over to Founders Park which is a great place for a walk, family picnic or a game of volleyball by the water’s edge. Like the rest of the city, it’s a pet friendly place; the main thoroughfares in Alexandria have water bowls on the curb and you won’t struggle to find a hotel that will happily cater to your furry friend.
When it comes to hotels, Alexandria has a wide range on offer from recognisable international franchises with all the amenities to charming one off bed and breakfasts that are perfect for a romantic getaway. Old Town in particular has a high concentration of hotels which offer easy access to some of the best restaurants and attractions in the city as well as excellent transport links to the rest of Virginia and beyond. The free King Street Trolley is something of an icon in Alexandria as it runs throughout the day bringing some old-school character to the busy road.
Art and antiques
King Street is home to nearly two hundred shops, a mixture of established brands and vintage boutiques that will be heaven for the avid fashionista. The area is also well known for its antique stores which each have their own specialism and are a great place to find some old-world treasures.
For a more modern twist on Virginia’s cultural souvenirs, why not take a look around one of the many art galleries in the city? The Torpedo Factory Art Centre was once a World War II munitions works but has now been converted into an art gallery that houses studios for around eighty different artists and a museum with some disarmed examples of the weapons that were once made there. Head over on a Sunday when it’s free to the public and the perfect post brunch outing.
Del Ray is the city’s creative hub whose streets host a different festival on the first Thursday of every month. It’s also the location of the Birchmere music hall, an intimate gig venue where many of the greats have played and even been discovered over the years. With theatres and low-key concerts all over the city you’re sure to find a great night’s entertainment in Alexandria, VA.
Price rangefrom £44to £243
- Hotel Hilton Alexandria Mark Centerdeals from £42
- Hotel Red Carpet Inndeals from £45
- Hotel Quality Inn Mount Vernondeals from £44
- Hotel Hampton Inn Alexandria/Pentagon South, VAdeals from £64
- Hotel Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area Southdeals from £52
- Hotel The Westin Alexandriadeals from £94
More Top Hotels
- Days Inn Alexandria South
- Residence Inn by Marriott Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria Old Town
- The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
- Hotel Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria
- History And Nature!
- Holiday Inn & Suites Alexandria - Old Town
- Candlewood Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir
- Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
- Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria Pentagon South
- Hilton Alexandria Old Town
- Hotel Morrison House, Autograph Collection
- Hampton Inn Alexandria/Old Town
- Best Western Mount Vernon
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Alexandria
- Holiday Inn Alexandria - Carlyle
- Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
- Extended Stay America Suites – Washington D.C. - Alexandria - Landmark
- Days Inn Alexandria
- Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC - Alexandria
- Budget Host Alexandria
- Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
- Kimpton Lorien Hotel And Spa
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir
- Towne Motel Alexandria
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
- Extended Stay America Suites – Washington DC - Alexandria - Eisenhower Ave.
- Minutes To Old Town Alexandria, National Harbor, National Airport, And DC
- Of Old Town Alexandria Private Patio Parking
- Great Gateaway Near Dc, Old Town Alexandria And National Harbor
- Charming Home Is Historic Old Town
- Hotels in Washington D.C. 4487 Hotels deals from £20
- Hotels in Arlington 835 Hotels deals from £60
- Hotels in New York 16533 Hotels deals from £30
- Hotels in Herndon 68 Hotels deals from £42
- Hotels in Sterling 66 Hotels deals from £45
- Hotels in Vienna 65 Hotels deals from £46
More Top Destinations
- Falls Church
- National Harbor
- Las Vegas
- Virginia Beach
- Miami Beach
- Atlantic City
- Lake Buena Vista