Chester Cathedral began its life as the St Werburgh's Abbey church, which was part of a Benedictine monastery that dates back to 1093. The present church that is dedicated to Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary dates from between the 10th and 15th centuries with some of the original Norman features still visible today despite many modifications over the centuries. There is evidence that the site was used as a place of worship dating back to Roman times.
Following the dissolution of the monasteries under the reign of King Henry VIII this was one of the few religious buildings in England to survive. Instead of it being destroyed it was handed over the city and became the cathedral church of the city following the newly created Diocese of Chester in 1540.
Chester Cathedral is open for visiting daily from 9am until 5pm (Monday to Saturday) and from 1pm until 4pm (Sunday).
Admission charges are:
Adult - £5.00 (6 Euros)
Senior Citizens - £4.00 (5 Euros)
Child (under 16) - £2.50 (3 Euros)
Concessions - £4.00 (5 Euros)
Worcester Cathedral sits in the centre of the city of Worcester over-looking the river Severn. It was founded in 680 but nothing remains of the original building and the oldest part now standing is the crypt which dates to the 10th century. Most of the current building is from the 12th and 13th Centuries.
The cathedral has the tomb of King John who died in 1216 as well as a memorial to Prince Arthur, the elder brother of Henry VIII and first husband of Henry's wife Katherine of Aragon. It is believed that the cathedral was spared the worst of Henry's destruction during the Reformation because of the significance of his brother's memorial.
The cathedral is open all year round and charges no admission fee - although of course donations are encouraged. Tours are available for a small fee. Opening hours are from 7.30 am to 6 pm daily.
The Mall Chester
A variety of shops are presented at the Mall and details of events are provided at the website. Facilities include a multi-storey car park and there is lift access for wheelchair users, baby changing facilities and a coffee shop. The Mall is open daily between 09h00 and 17h30, except on Sundays when the hours are from 11h00 to 17h00.
Consisting of 16 acres adjacent to the river Dee, Grosvenor Park dates from 1867 and offers a Victorian layout with avenues, statues and ornamental shrubs. It hosts the Summer Music Festival and other cultural events. Grosvenor Park also boasts a number of heritage features such as the Park Lodge, a statue of Richard Grosvenor, BIlly Hobby's Well, the Hermitage and various arches. More details of these sights are available at the website.
Facilities at the park include a putting green and miniature railway which offers a circuit around the lake on both steam and diesel hauled trains, as well as a cafe and picnic options. Opening hours are daily from dawn to dusk.
Birmingham International Airport
Birmingham International Airport (code BHX) is the largest airport in the Midlands region of England and is a mid-sized airport with two terminals and one runway.
It serves a large number of European destinations as well as having long-haul services to the east coast of North America and the Caribbean, a few places in North Africa and quite a lot of flights to the Indian Sub-continent.
It hosts a range of full service and budget carriers as well as offering facilities for private jets.
There are two long stay and two short stay car parks on-site.
BHX is located 13km east of Birmingham, close to motorways and major roads and with its own railway station on site. It is also close to the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) which can be reached on foot in just 5 minutes.
Pickford's House is Derby's museum of Georgian Life and Costume. Some rooms in the house are decorated and set out as they might have been in Joseph Pickford's time in the Georgian period and one of the cellars is equipped as an air-raid shelter of the 1940s. There are displays of toys, costumes and textiles on the upper floors. The costume and accessories collection dates from the eighteenth to the twentieth century.
There is parking at the rear of the house. There is disabled access to the ground floor and basement, but not yet to the upper floors. Also there are no toilets on the ground and basement floors. Baby changing facilities are available.
Entry is free of charge. Opening times are:
Monday: 11am - 5pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 10am - 5pm
Sundays & Bank Holidays: 1pm - 4pm
The museum closes over the Christmas hoiliday period.
Manage your bookmarks
Add hotels to your Favourites by clicking the heart.