The New Castle in Stuttgart was built for Duke Carl Eugen. Building work started in 1746 but was interrupted several times and lasted until 1807.
The building was designed in the same style as the castle in Versailles and the Baroque style residence was one of the last city castles built in southern Germany. The architects were Nikolaus Friedrich Thouret, Leopold Retti, Philippe da la Goepière and R.F.H. Fischer.
During WW2 the castle was nearly destroyed but its exterior was rebuilt according to the original plans. The interior has been altered and the castle is now home to the offices of the treasury of the Federal State of Baden Wuerttemberg with only a few rooms remaining that have been restored to their former glory. These are used for formal visits and representation.
The castle is not accessible to the general public.