Donegal Castle, meaning «fort of the foreigner », is situation along the River Eske near Donegal Bay in Donegal Town, north west Ireland. It was built by the O’Donnell chieftain, who ruled Donegal for over a thousand years, in the 15th century. Later it was extended in the 17th century by Sir Basil Brooke who built the rectangular tower and added the banqueting hall. It was the Earl of Arran who donated the castle to the Office of Public Works in 1898. For the last two centuries most of the castle was in ruins until the 1990s when it was fully restored. Around the limestone and sandstone Jacobean style building is a 17th century boundary wall.
The castle can be visited, inside you’ll find a collection of Persian rugs and French tapestries, as well as panels which cover the history of the castles owners from the O’Donnells to the Brooke family. Tour guides are available each hour and the admission fee is of 4€ for adults and 2€ for children and students. Seniors and groups are charged 3€. It is open for visits from 9.30am to 6.30pm from mid June to October. The castle is often used for hosting events, such as Gaelic cultural evenings.