Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel Best Western Premier Louvre Saint-Honoré4from £155
- Hotel L'Empire4from £141
- Hotel Novotel Paris Les Halles4from £154
- Hotel Ducs D'Anjou4from £167
- Hotel Grand Hôtel Dechampaigne3from £131
- Hotel Louvre Bons Enfants3from £128
More Top Hotels Paris
Centre Georges Pompidou
The Pompidou Centre was the brainchild of the President after whom it was named. Pompidou envisaged a multi-cultural centre devoted to modern art in the centre of Paris. It was opened in 1977 and has had so many visitors it had to close in 1997 for substantial refurbishment, reopening in 2000. Inside is the "leading collection of modern and contemporary art in Europe", together with a public reference library capable of accommodating 2000 readers, a cinema, performance halls, research and documentation facilities. Temporary exhibitions run throughout the year. There is also a shop, restaurant and café. The building itself is of artistic significance and its design was the subject of a competition won by Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers. It is famous for having its utilities ducted round the exterior, to free up the space inside. The sensation of an uncluttered space is further enhanced by the open piazza in front of a glass façade. The centre is open daily, except Tuesdays and 1 May, from 11am to 9pm. The library is open from midday to 10pm.
La Sainte Chapelle
The La Sainte Chapelle is situated in the heart of Paris, France. It is a gothic chapel and was built in the era of the Gothic architecture. The palatine chapel was built to host possessions of Louis IX from August 1239. The relics include the image of Edessa and Christ’s crown of thorns. There are thirty more other relics of Christ in the chapel. The stained glass are the most visual characteristics of the chapel. In the fifteenth century the rose windows were added to the upper chapel. Two-thirds of the windows are authentic and the others are replicas. Two meters of the stained glass was removed to allow the daylight in. Since 1862 the chapel has been a national historic monument.