Hotels La Promenade des Anglais, Nice La Promenade des Anglais› Find the ideal hotel in the area
› Compare prices from more than 160 booking sites
› Book where it's cheapest!
The Promenade des Anglais was a deserted pebble beach until the middle of the 18th century. Nice itself was far from the sea on higher grounds. It was the English holiday makers who by word of mouth made the spot known to fellow compatriots for its mild winters and beautiful views over the Mediterranean Sea. The Promenade itself was built by beggars who'd migrated to Nice one particularly harsh winter. This suggestion came from the English, which gave the Promenade its original name Camin dei Anglès in the local Niçois dialect Nissart, meaning The English Way. In 1860, Nice was annexed to France and the Camin became the Promenade des Anglais. Nowadays it is abbreviated to La Promenade, or simply La Prom. The side walk stretches over 6 kilometres along the water front. Walkers, cyclists, skateboarders, roller skaters and whole families enjoy the large paved pavement scattered with blue chairs and cabanas to relax in, palm trees and other Mediterranean plants. It is the towns symbol, which hosts a number of activities throughout the year including the carnival and the Battle of Flowers.