Glasgow Cathedral is a Church of Scotland cathedral, to be distinguished from the three other cathedrals in the city (Roman Catholic, Episcopalian and Orthodox). It is not strictly a cathedral as it is not now the seat of a bishop, but it retains its pre-Reformation title. The building dates from 1197 and has been in continuous use ever since, indeed it claims to be the largest surviving church in Scotland to have survived the Reformation.
The style is Gothic and the open-beam roof in the nave is medieval with some original timbers. In the Lower Church is the tomb of St Mungo, patron saint of Glasgow, who died in 603. Other ancient parts include the Blacader Aisle, a chapel undercroft, dating from the first Archbishop of Glasgow in the 15th century, and the sacristy, also from the 16th century. The stained glass is modern and the Millennium Window is, of course, a recent commission.
Unusually the cathedral is the property of the Crown and is administered by Historic Scotland. Opening times and service times are on the website.