Visitors to this hotel were also interested in...
- Hotel Le Corsaire3from £107
- Hotel Le Grand Pavois - Relais du Silence3from £80
- Hotel Logis De la Plage2from £80
- Hotel Hôtel Dangleterre - Fécampfrom £66
More Top Hotels Etretat
Le Château de Caen
The ramparts built in 1060 by William the Bastard, Duke of Normandy, over the river Orne were the start of Caen Castle and the outline they provided hasn't really changed in subsequent additions to the Castle. His son, Henry Ist added the Exchequer Hall, the Keep and St George's Church. In 1204 Normandy belonged to France and King Philippe Auguste continued work on the Castle, in particular the fortifications. Work continued into the XVIth Century with François Ist adding a promenade along the ramparts. Part of the Castle was destroyed during the XIXth Century, when the Castle was used as military barracks, with more destruction in the next Century during the Liberation of Caen in 1944. Entry to the castle is free, although the castle houses 2 museums, the Fine Arts museum and the Normandy museum which cost €5 and €3 respectively.