100 (1017 reviews)/
100 (1017 reviews)/
100 (1290 reviews)/
100 (722 reviews)/
100 (1051 reviews)/
100 (667 reviews)/
100 (6549 reviews)/
Located in the centre of Edinburgh in a Georgian residence, The Broughton offers bed and breakfast at competitive prices. Edinburgh Waverley railway station and the shops on Princes Street are just a 10-minute walk.
Single, double, twin and family rooms are available. All feature an en-suite bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities and a flat screen television. Shortbread biscuits and super fast Wi-Fi are provided free of charge.
The Broughton has its own car park which guests can use for free during their stay. Those keen to exercise can visit the nearby Virgin Active health club in the Omni centre for a small daily fee.
A complimentary traditional Scottish breakfast is provided every day. There are numerous restaurants in the area such as Mamma Roma, Khushi’s Indian and Burger Meats Bun.
Popular nearby attractions within walking distance include the Royal Botanic Garden, the Scottish National Gallery and Edinburgh Castle.
Howies Waterloo Place is part of a Scottish restaurant group with others located in Aberdeen and St Andrews. The restaurant is in a renovated 1Georgian building. 200 guests can dine in the main restaurant with another room for private functions for up to 26 people. Lunch time specials and a 45 minute lunch is available as well as the usual menu. Major credit cards accepted. Snacks and drinks are available from 11am. Open every day 12pm - 2:30pm and 5:30pm - 10pm
The Scott Monument in Edinburgh was built to commemorate Sir Walter Scott who died on 21st September 1832. George Miekle Kemp won a competition to design it and construction started in 1838. It stands 200 ft. 6in high (61 meters) and 55ft.(16 meters) square at the base. To reach the highest gallery you have to climb 287 steps. It is made of Binnie stone , throughout the structure there are niches, 64 in all which hold statuettes each depicting a character from the works of Scott. The statue itself was designed and built by John Steell and is made of Carrara marble, it is more than double life-size. The last stone was laid in 1844 and it was officially inaugurated on 15th August 1846. It is located on Princes street and is open Monday to Friday 9am till 6pm and 10am to 6pm on Sundays during the summer. In winter it closes at 3pm. Admission costs £3 (4 Euros).
The Royal Mile in Edinburgh is the collective name of the streets that form the main thoroughfare through the city's historic Old Town. As its name suggests The Royal Mile is approximately one mile long (1.6km) and stretches from Holyrood Abbey at the bottom to Edinburgh Castle at the top. Many of the locals refer to the Royal Mile as "High Street" but officially this name only refers to one stretch. The five streets that make up the Royal Mile are Abbey Stand, Canongate, High Street, Lawn Market and Castle Hill. Leading off these main streets there are numerous narrow alleyways. In addition to Edinburgh Castle, which is the most visited tourist attraction in Scotland and the Abbey, the Royal Mile also passes a number of other tourist attractions including Mary King's Close, St Giles Cathedral, the Tolbooth Kirk, Parliament House and several museums. The Royal Mile is fully accessible to visits and there are no admission charges to enter the general area but individual admission fees apply for many of the specific attractions.
The National Gallery of Scotland is located on the Mound in Edinburgh which separates the two parts of Princess Street Gardens. It is a large neoclassical building which was first opened to the public in 1859. It houses a large collection of European and Scottish art from early Renaissance to the late 19th century. Artwork in the Gallery is by many famous artists including Raphael, El Greco, Rubens, Titian, Velázquez, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Turner and the Impressionists. Many Scottish artists are also exhibited these include Ramsay, Raeburn. Wilkie and McTaggart. Facilities at the Gallery include Education services, gift shop, disabled access and an outdoor café in the Summer. Opening times are Monday to Saturday 10am-5pm and Sunday 12-5pm. There are extended opening hours during the Edinburgh Festival and it is closed 25 and 26 December. Admission is free but some special exhibitions may have a charge.
The Real Mary King's Close is a series of streets in Edinburgh's Old Town dating back to medieval times. For centuries this area was under cover but following archaeological excavations the area was exposed and in April 2003 these streets were opened up as a tourist attraction. These medieval streets quickly became associated with stories of ghosts and it was claimed that there were many bodies of plague victims that had been walled up and abandoned. There is however no evidence to support these claims but many visitors claim to have experience paranormal activities. The buildings were originally seven storeys high and covered both sides of the street, some of these have been replicated to resemble how the street would have originally looked. Guided tours take place approximately every 20 minutes, daily throughout the year (except Christmas Day). The first tour of the day starts at 10am (9am during August) but closing times vary throughout the year, details can be found on the website. Tours last approximately one hour. Admission prices are: Adult - £10.50 (12 Euros) Children - £6.00 (7 Euros) Concessions - £9.50 (11 Euros)