Dublin Castle was originally constructed as a defensive fortification in the 12th century to prevent the city from attack during its period of Norman rule, although virtually nothing now remains of this early wooden structure and most of what we see today is of 18th century origin.
During the Middle Ages Dublin Castle was used as a royal residence for the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland but today its function is that of one of the principal buildings of the present Irish Government. It has played an important role throughout history and was the official seat of the British Government until 1922, when it was ceremonially handed over to the newly created Irish Free State. In 1938 the castle was used to host the inauguration ceremony of Ireland's first President, Douglas Hyde and all subsequent Presidential inaugurations have taken place here since.
Guided tours of the State Apartments, the Undercroft and the Chapel Royal take place daily throughout the year (with the exception of a few public holidays). The current charge for a guided tour is
Adult – 4.5 Euros
Concessions – 3.5 Euros
Children – 2 Euros.