Hotels KaDeWe, Berlin KaDeWe› Find the ideal hotel in the area
› Compare prices from more than 160 booking sites
› Book where it's the cheapest!
KaDeWe stands for Kaufhaus des Westens in German. It is called the Department Store of the West in English. It is a department in Berlin located on Tauentzienstrasse. It was the biggest department store in Europe before Harrods and has over 60000 square metres of selling space attracting 40000 to 50000 visitors everyday. The store was built in 1907 by Emil Schaudt and owned by Adolf Jandorf. It originally only had 24000 square meters of floor space. The company was owned by Hermann Tietz in 1927. The owner started to expand the store. Most of the store was ruined during the Second World War in 1943. The store was reopened in 1950 with the first two floors. The full reconstruction was done by 1956. The store was expanded between 1976 and 1978 and the floor space was increased to 44000 square metres in size. In 1996, a restaurant and an extra floor were added on the top to expand it to 60000 square metres in size. The store was renovated between 2004 and 2007. Nowadays there are total of seven floors in the store.